Christmas is the season of the year where friends and family visit each other from all over the world. It is also the time of year where deep cleaning the home becomes the number one priority. If you need help getting started with your home deep clean project you’re at the right place. Here is how to deep clean your home for Christmas.
Regular Cleaning vs Deep Cleaning For Christmas
Deep cleaning is going in-depth. Removing furniture, dusting places you wouldn’t normally clean, cleaning the floors to remove ignored stains, cleaning the walls, steam cleaning the carpet. polishing the silverware, cleaning the discolored floor grout, and adding fragrances that’ll make the home smell amazing.
Regular cleaning is also called surface cleaning. This way of cleaning the home is much lighter than deep cleaning your home. To give your home a regular clean all you need to do is to focus on the surfaces. You can do this by swiftly dusting the visible areas, vacuuming the carpet without moving the furniture, cleaning the floor just by giving it a quick wipe. Most times the smell of the home is not included in this type of cleaning.
Why Deep Clean Your Home ?:
Giving your home a deep clean removes built-up dust and grime that has not been cleaned for a while. A home should be deep cleaned at least 2 times per year Spring and Winter. Giving your home a good Christmas clean will make a big difference. The benefits are your home will be immaculately clean and your guest will give you tons of compliments. Let’s start deep cleaning the home for the Christmas Holidays!
How To Deep Clean Your Home (For Christmas)
Washing The Drapes:
If the windows are decorated with drapes or curtains these can become dusty. Drapes block dust from entering the home and absorb fumes from the air. They can become mucky and smelly.
Before cleaning the windows consider cleaning the window accessories or buying new ones Having windows with clean drapes and blinds looks amazing. Here is how to clean window blinds
How To Deep Clean Window Blinds:
1. Pour 1/2 vinegar and1/2 water in a spray bottle
2. Shake well and mist the blades of the window blind
3. Slip on a wool sock over your fingers
4. Slide your hands on each blind
5. Repeat the process is needed using a clean sock
Cleaning The Window With Vinegar:
Clear and clean windows are one of the main attractions of the home. They simply add to the appearance of the home. The first thing you need to do when deep cleaning your home is to clean the windows.by simply following this simple method.
1. Use a wet microfiber cloth or towel to remove the dust
2. Make a mixture of part water and part white vinegar
3. Mist the window and wipe with a lint-free cleaning cloth. Keep applying the solution and wiping until the spots are gone. Make sure not to mist the frames if they are made from vinyl, fiberglass, or varnished wood as this can cause discoloration.
4. While the window is still wet use a second dry cloth to wipe the window. Allowing the solution to dry will leave streaks and water spots. The best advice is to clean one window at a time.
5. Mist the window with rubbing alcohol and spot clean to remove any visible streaks
For more amazing tips on cleaning windows check out this article that tells you “how to clean windows without streaking”
The Proper Way To Dust Your Home
Cleaning And Dusting The Fan…
Here Is How:
The proper way to dust your home is to begin at the top. Start by vacuuming the walls and the ceiling. This must be done first to avoid a throwback when dusting surface-level items. If the ceiling has fans use a sock to cover the blades then pull it off. This will remove the dust. This may require a ladder or a chair.
After removing the sock mist the blades with a solution of part rubbing alcohol and part water. Move on to cleaning with a microfiber cloth. Another way of reaching the blades without climbing is to do this. Simply cover the bristles of a broom with a cleaning rag. Stretch it upwards and gently clean the blades.
Tips On How To Dust Furniture
The proper way to clean glass or wooden furniture is by first removing the dust. Adding polish to dusty furniture can leave smudges behind. The best way to dust furniture is to use a lint-free duster.
When removing dust and debris from a sofa a handheld vacuum will be needed. Here are the steps to follow when dusting furniture.
Step1. Dust the hidden areas
Step 2. Move on to dusting the drawers
Step.3 Dust the surfaces sides, top, and front
Step.4 Use furniture polish or baby oil to add sheen to wooden pieces using dry a microfiber cloth
Step.5 For glass furniture mist with a glass cleaner and wipe with a sheet of paper towel
Deep Cleaning The Carpet
Carpets are the most comfortable floor to have in the home. However, carpets get dirty and smelly easily. When deep cleaning the home it’s best to clean the carpet to remove stains and do some odor control. Here is a quick way to clean the carpet without calling in the cleaners for the holiday season.
1. Sprinkle baking soda on the carpet
2. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes
3. Vacuum thoroughly
4. If there are spots use a little Dawn dish soap and a semi-wet cloth to spot clean
5. If you have a steamer give your carpet complete steam clean after applying the above instructions.
The Best Way To Deep Clean Wooden Floor
A glossy spotless wooden floor is just beautiful. To have your wooden floor looking this way there are special ways to clean it. Wooden floors can be cleaned with commercial cleaners as well as homemade floor cleaners. These homemade wood floor cleaning solutions will remove stains and dirt just like the others. Here is how to deep clean your wooden floors.
1. Remove debris by either sweeping or vacuuming
2. Pour 2-3 gallons of warm water in a bucket
3. Add to this 1/2 cup Murphy’s oil soap
4. Submerge a mop into the solution and wipe the floor. Continue until the entire floor is clean
5. Use a clean mop with clean water to give the floor a second wipe. You don’t need to add the soap at this point.
Extra Tip: To stop squeaks on wooden floors. Simply sprinkle the cracks with baby powder. This will work as a cushion preventing the wood from rubbing against each other.
The Easiest Way To Clean Tiles (Bathroom & Floor)
If you need to spruce up your tile floors a deep clean will do the trick. To clean the tile floor all that’s needed is water, dish soap, and vinegar. For tile floors with stained grout using a mist of Clorox bleach foamer will remove the discoloration.
This same method can be used to clean bathroom tiles leaving them clean and looking amazing. Below are the instructions on how to clean floor and bathroom tiles.
1. First mist the grout with Clorox Bleach Foamer
2. Let it sit for 5 minutes
3. Use a toothbrush to scrub the grout
4. Then make a solution of 1/4 cup vinegar 2 gallons water 1 tablespoon Dawn dish
5. Using a mop use this solution to clean the tiles
6. Wipe a second time with clean water and dry with a towel ensuring no water is settled on the grout. Leaving dirty water on grout will cause grout stains.
For Bathroom Tiles…
Spray the tiles with the bleach foamer. Give it 5-10 minutes to penetrate. Using the same solution only this time with a small spray bottle. Pour in 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1-2 cups water, and i teaspoon of Dawn dish soap. Move on to using a sponge to wash the tiles. Rinse well and dry.
Simply apply the same floor cleaning solution and method. This will have your tiles deep clean and glowing. To keep your shower tiles spotless for a few days here is how. Extra Tips…Mist the shower tiles with WD-40 and wipe with a dry microfiber cloth. This works like magic. After cleaning the sinks and faucet a touch of WD-40 will keep away soap scum.
How To Deep Clean A Refrigerator
The refrigerator is where all the delicious meals are stored. For every approaching holiday season, this appliance should be deep clean and ready to be stocked. Here are ways to deep clean your fridge by simply following these easy steps.
Here’s How To Do It…
Step.1 Remove all food items from the fridge
Step.2 Take out the removable shelves and drawers and wash then dry with a clean towel
STEP.3 Combine a simple mixture of part water and part vinegar in a spray bottle
Step.4 Mist the interior of the fridge including the rubbers on the doors
Step.5 Let it rest for 5 minutes
Step.6 Make a paste using bakings soda and dish soap
Step.7 Apply using a sponge or a cleaning rag and wipe all shelves thoroughly.
Step.8 For unreachable holes and crevices, use a cotton bud to remove the grime
Step.9 Give it a second wipe with clean water and a cloth
Step.10 Return the shelves and drawers.
Now that your fridge is clean, it’s time to restock. To keep bad odors out of the refrigerator place an open box of baking soda or a folded sheet of newspaper in the fridge. That’s it for cleaning your fridge now let us move on to cleaning the stove.
The Proper Way To Clean A Stove
Your stove is the star of the kitchen. After all, this is where all the goods are prepared. Because of this, the stove is the dirtiest item in the kitchen. You can’t deep clean your home if the stove is not spotless. Here is how to properly clean your stove.
Make a paste with baking soda, vinegar, and dish soap
Remove the grates and burners and scrub with an abrasive scrubber using the paste and dry with a cloth
Move on to applying the rest of the paste on the stovetop
Let it remain for 15 minutes
Scrub with a sponge removing the oils and food spills
Clean with a wet cloth removing all debris. Repeat this process one more time
Move on to cleaning the oven using the exact cleaning method for the stove op. For the body of the stove wipe with a slightly soaped cloth then clean with a soapless one. This should have your stove ready to be used again. The next step is to clean the microwave. Here is how to do it. If you need to know more about cleaning a stovetop here is how.
The quickest way to Deep clean A Microwave
Don’t forget this appliance. A microwave is the most over-over used and overlooked appliance in the home. This can cause it to smell. When this happens the smell circulates into your home. Leaving your home smelling like stale food. For this not to happen deep cleaning your microwave once a month would be ideal. Here are the instructions for Deep cleaning your microwave.
1. Remove the plate and have it washed
Mist the inside of the microwave with a mixture of vinegar and water
Close the door and let it sit for 10 minutes
Dab a bit of dish soap on a sponge and wipe the interior
Remove the loosened grease and food particle with a clean damp sponge
To eliminate odors cut a lemon in half. Place half of the lemon in a small microwavable bowl halfway with water. Run the microwave for 90 seconds. This will remove food odors and give it its finishing touch. Another way to quickly deodorize your microwave is to clean the inside with vanilla.
The Best Way To Deodorize Your Home
Here are a few clever ways to have your home smelling amazing. Below you’ll find old-fashioned home smell hacks and other smell hacks you can use to make your home a fragrance frenzy. You can choose any of these methods after your finish deep cleaning.
- Coffee beans- Place these in small containers around the house
- Essential oils- Lavender, lemon and baby powder essential oils. Use it diffuser or sprinkle a few drops on the carpet and walls.
- Plugins-The will last for months
- Thyme- Make a brew using thyme. Use it to clean countertops to remove odors
- Dryer Sheets- Place unused dryer sheets in each room of the house
Other Home Deep Cleaning Tips
When planning on deep cleaning your home there are a few detailed things you should consider doing. Here are six things to do for your home to be fully deep cleaned
- Declutter- Toss out all unnecessary items
- Organized- Place items in groups in an orderly way
- Change the bed linens
- Clean areas you wouldn’t normally clean
- Assessed your job when you’re through. You just might find something else to do.
- Don’t forget the dishwasher. Here is how to clean a grimy dishwasher
Above are the main things you need to do when deep cleaning your home for the holidays. Come to think of it, they were very easy than expected. I am sure your home will be looking amazingly clean when you’re through. Have fun cleaning! and come again soon.