Playing with slime is the most favorite fun activity for kids. It really is somewhat the most exciting and unusual mess there is. However, it’s has a drippy side to it that can easily get onto your carpet and can cause a stain. Cleaning slime out of carpet is pretty easy as it is made with contact lens solution or borax, water, glue, and of course food coloring. The good news is slime can be cleaned using items you already have in the home! Yep, you can get slime out of carpet by simply following any of the tips below. Here are eight ways to get slime out of the carpet fast and easy.
Slime Cleaning Facts
Wet slime: If the slime is wet using your finger to pick it up may only cause even more mess. Try scraping off the slime with a spoon while doing this add a little pressure to get as much of the gluey thing out of the carpet before adding a cleaning product.
Dried slime: Harden slime can either be picked up with your fingers or scraped off with a butter knife or spoon. However, it would work best to remove the slime while it still wet. Now, that the slime has been dried it may take a little more effort but that’s ok.
The below slime removing hacks are some of the top proven choices for cleaning slime out of the carpet. However, some may not have the results you wanted while some may. Pick the ones that you think work best for you and get that slime out of your carpet.
How to Get Slime Out of Carpet
Using Club Soda:
- Use a butter knife or a spoon to remove as much of the slime then vacuum the area
- Mist the slime stained area with club soda
- Let it sit for five-ten minutes
- Blot the treated spot with a cloth to absorb the excess fluid
Finishing: If after blotting the stain still remains use a Scotch Brite to scrub this should complete the job
Using Dish Soap:
- Make a solution of 2 teaspoons uncolored undyed dish soap and 2 cups warm water
- Mist the stain
- Allow the solution to sit for 3 minutes
- Mist again and scrub with a brush
- Spray the area with warm water
- Clean up the area with a cloth
- Allow the area to dry then vacuum
Finishing: Dish soap is one of the best cleaners when it comes to getting slime out of the carpet. On a note, ensure to dilute the dish soap. Using undiluted dish soap on the carpet stain can leave a sud mark for days and makes it hard to dry. This is just something to watch for. Dish soap is still the top pick as It competes with baking soda and vinegar and came out on top.
Using Goo Gone
- To quickly remove the slime simply apply a bit of Goo Gone to the stain
- Let it rest on the stain for 15 minutes
- Next, use a brush to scrub this will loosen the slime
Finishing: The honest truth using goo gone may not be the best choice. Yes, it’s a method but it comes with a lot of complications and the end result was a bit messy even after vacuuming.
Using Carpet Cleaner
- Apply the carpet cleaner according to the instructions
- Allow sitting for 5 minutes
- Scrub in circular motions using a sponge
Finishing: You may want to be very careful when using a carpet cleaner as this may leave a slight discoloration and hard-to-remove suds.
How to Get Slime Out of Carpet With Ice
For fresh slime on carpets, Cover the spot with ice cubes or an ice pack to freeze the ice. Do this for 10-15 minutes now that the ice is frozen scrap it off with a knife or simply pick it up with your hands then vacuum.
- Scrub with a brush and liquid detergent
- Use a damp rag to remove the soap. Keep doing this until the soap is gone
- Vacuum and allow to dry
Finishing: The ice may leave a bright watermark. Don’t panic, this is because it is still fresh. Scrape it off as fast as you can then use a cloth to blot the spot. Allow to dry then vacuum and you’ll be good to go.
How to Get Dried Slime Out of Carpet
- Simply treat the area with WD-40 and wait for 10 minutes
- Scrub into it with a carpet brush, scrape with a spoon or use your fingers to pick it up
- Vacuum the loose residues
- Apply a bit of grease-cutting dish soap (Dawn dish soap, not the red one)
- Blot with a damp cloth. Repeat here to make sure all the sud is gone
- Allow drying then vacuum once again
Finishing: When using any oil-based product for cleaning it’s always best to use some sort of soap to get rid of the grease. Wd-40 can be used to loosen slime dried on carpet but it can also make it greasy and leave a smell. If this happens after cleaning with the dish soap simply use a clean cloth to wipe on some essential oil to remove the oily smell from the carpet. A few drops of essential oil won’t do any damage.
How to Get Slime Out of Carpet with Vinegar
Using Water and Vinegar:
- Combine equal parts white distilled vinegar with equal parts warm water in a spray bottle
- Apply the spray to the stain
- Let it sit for 5 minutes
- Use a brush to gently work into the stain
- Blot with a cloth then vacuum
Finishing: Vinegar is highly acidic you may want to be very cautious when using this product on a dark-colored carpet. Yes, vinegar is amazing at removing sticky things like slime but it can also cause some discoloration. The best thing to do is to keep a close eye on the treated area. Be very light on the hands when brushing and wipe away the vinegar with a damp cloth.
Lastly, use a few sheets of paper towel to absorb the remaining liquid. If you notice a bluish color that is probably from the slime. Simply allow the area to dry then vacuum. The bluish color will disappear and simply how to get slime out of the carpet with vinegar.
How to Get Slime Out of Carpet with Baking Soda
- Sprinkle the baking soda on the stained areas the treated area with warm water
- Allow the powder to rest on the stain for 10 minutes
- Use a carpet brush to brush into the spot
- Next, use a damp cloth to clean away the baking soda
- As usual, allow drying then vacuum
Finishing: Never combine baking soda and vinegar to clean slime stains on the carpet. These are too powerful acidic products and may not be suitable for a simple stain like slime. In other words, it may penetrate deeper than the slime stain on the carpet.
Your Best Options
To get slime out of the carpet your best bet is dish soap or vinegar and water. These are safe for children and pets. You won’t have to worry about any toxic danger in the home even if they come in contact while you treat the stain.
How to Get Slime Out of Clothes
If the carpet gets it so will the clothes. Slime more than likely will get on your kid’s t. short. If it gets on an old torn one that won’t be a problem but what if the lime gets on your kid’s favorite t-shirt? The good thing is that slime on clothes can be removed with some of the same methods you used on carpets.
All you need to do is to scrape the slime off, secondly, treat the stain then scrub into it with an old toothbrush or soft bristle clothes brush. Lastly, wash and dry the garment. This also works on white t-shirts. Here are the best products for removing slime on clothes.
OxiClean: Lather the stained area with Oxiclean Stain Remover
Ice Cubes: Place a few blocks of ice cubes on the stain. Wait 10-15 minutes before scraping off the hardened residues with the back of a butter knife or a spoon.
Dish Soap: Squeeze a few drops of biodegradable dish soap on the spot. Next, use a clean white rag to scrub into the stain moving your hands in a circular motion. Found this on Amazon__Palmolive Eco Dishwasher Detergent Lemon Splash
Vinegar and baking soda: Pour a tablespoon of baking soda onto the stain then use your fingers to spread it out. Next, mist the area with a solution of vinegar and water and let it sit for 15 minutes. To finish up scrub the spot with a clothes brush and wash as usual.
Goo Gone Is not highly recommended for removing slime on white T-shirts as it could leave a permanent mark. To be on the side stick with the above-recommended products and you should be just fine.
We hope that these tips were able to help you to know how to get slime out of a carpet, rug, and clothing. The products that were used are simple products you have snatched away somewhere in a cabinet in your home. Next time your kids start having a slimy day with slime refer back to this post which will guide you through the steps of getting slime out of the carpet.
- If it’s time to change that old rug of yours here are a few you may want to check out. Rugs * Rugs for Kids’ Bedrooms
- Here is another article may like___ How to Get Blood Out of Carpet