The smell of smoke smell on your clothes is not good. You might say I’ll just cover the smell with a nice perfume but that’s a big mistake. However, there are ways that you can disguise or eliminate it altogether, wouldn’t that be amazing. I won’t be talking about the problem of smokey breath but instead, we are here to actually get smoke smell out of clothes, cars, and your entire home. Let’s dive in!
- How to get smoke smell out of clothes
- How to get smell out of clothes without washing
- How to get smoke smell out of baby clothes
- How to get cigarette smoke smell out of clothes
- How to get smoke smell out of your house
- How to get smoke smell out of car
- How to get smoke out of hair
Smoke Smell Don’t Stand a Chance With These Tools
- Dryer sheets
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Lysol Surface Cleaner
- Laundry detergent
- Distilled vinegar
- Murphy’s oil soap
Why Does Smoke Stick to Clothes?
Smoke, especially cigarettes, is consist of carcinogenic materials. Whenever the smoke gets into the air these compounds are so sticky that they stick to walls, clothes, carpets, wooden floors, and even your hair.
Just in case you’re wondering what they are. They come in the form of ash, oil, and many other chemicals found in cigarette smoke. Luckily we are going to find ways to conquer and get the smell of smoke out of clothes for good.
How to Get Smoke Smell Out of Clothes
Wash Your Clothes Immediately:
If your clothes are musky with the smell of smoke try washing them as soon as possible. The long the smoke rests on your clothes the higher the smell becomes.
Turn the washer on warm then add a laundry detergent and 1/4 cup baking soda. Allow it to dissolve. Place the clothing into the washer. Ensure to use a sweet-smelling laundry detergent that’ll combat the smoke smell.
Drying in a dryer will make it harder to remove the smell. Make a clothesline outdoor or indoor and hang the clothing there. The fresh air is better at removing the smoke smell. The bottom line is DON’T STORE SMOKEY CLOTHES FOR DAYS.
Note: The baking is an amazing and strong odor eliminator and is safe for washing clothes. Combining both ingredients will get the smoke smell out of the clothes.
Tip: Warm water releases sticky residues that caused stains and odors by opening the fibers on the material. As long as the material can stand the water at its warmest temperature go ahead and apply it.
Method 2. Soaking
- Fill a bucket or sink with warm water
- Add 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar and 2 tablespoons baking soda
- Soak for 1/2 an hour
- Wash using a washer
If the clothing is white simply add a small amount of chlorine bleach as a stand-alone product. When using baking soda and vinegar avoid adding bleach. These 3 chemicals are very strong and will become highly acidic and may damage the clothing.
How to Get Smoke Smell Out of Clothes Without Washing
The fastest and easiest way to get smoke smell out of clothes without washing is with dryer sheets. Simply use a fresh dryer sheet to rub all over the clothing. This way the smell of the dryer sheet disguises the smoke smell until you are able to get it washed.
The more natural way to get rid of smoke out of clothes without washing is by airing out the clothing. Fresh air is a quick and effective way to reduce the smell of smoke on clothes. Giving the item air doesn’t mean it is now clean. The air just simply weakens the chemicals. A thorough wash is always required to have it completely smoke-free.
Essential oils are great odor disguisers. However, if you are trying to cover up third-hand cigarette smoke this may not cover all of the odor but it will disguise most of it.
Emergency Smoke Smell Eliminator Spray:
Another way to get the cigarette smell from clothes is to spray them. Spray your entire clothing with a fabric-friendly air freshener. Yes, It’s better to smell of air freshener than to be covered with the smell of cigarette smoke. I’m sure you’ll agree with me on that one. If you need to know how to get smoke smell out jackets? We, nothing beats a fabric spray.
The Best Way to Get Smoke Smell Out of Baby Clothes
The thought of smoke on a baby’s clothes is one you shouldn’t have to think about. However, getting smoke smell out of baby clothes needs a more gentle approach. Babies’ skin is delicate and can be easily irritated by harsh laundry detergents. So be very selective when washing your baby’s clothes. To get rid of the smoke smell on baby clothes safely. Here is what to do.
- Soak the baby’s clothing in warm water, hydrogen peroxide, or baking soda for 1 hour
- Next, use a baby-friendly laundry detergent to wash in a washer
- Lastly, dry well
Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell Out of Clothes
To disguise the smell of cigarettes on your clothes. scarves, hats, or shoes. Simply rub a dryer sheet all over the clothes. This will remove the smell of smoke in a wink.
How to Get Smoke Smell Out of Your House
Old cigarette smoke in your home is breathtaking in a bad way. Firstly, a deep clean is necessary to remove the smoke smell. To begin to clear the area of the musky smell, here is what to do.
- Clean the walls with water, diluted bleach and a few drops of essential oil.
- Use a wood cleaner and a mop to clean wooden floors…Murphy’s oil soap
- Change the bed linens and curtains
- Get the laundry done
Varnishing your wooden floor will also work. Often times the ash from the cigarette gets down into the cracks of the wooden floors. If you really need to get rid of the smoke smell in your home cleaning the cracks in the wooden floor will help.
Time To Renovate
Replace the carpets and rugs or those that can be washed, do that with a nice fragrance detergent. Remove all curtains and bed linens and get them washed.
These, as simple as they are can be the solution to your smoke smell problems.This can really help if you are moving into a new home or had purchased a new car that is belching with the smell of cigarette smoke.
How to Get Smoke Smell Out of Car
- Remove the mats from your car. You’ll be amazed at the results if you get those rugs and mats cleaned. These are masters at absorbing. Give them a good wash with a power hose. As mentioned before, washing works especially with a power wash hose. Place the mats on a flat concrete surface and power away.
2. When smoking, It’s best to leave the car windows open. This will allow the air out. With no ventilation, the smoke is sucked in by anything that is fabricated in your car. This will leave a smell you will be ashamed of.
3. Place dryer sheets in hidden areas of your car. These can be used to freshen up a little bit. Place plugins refills underneath the seats. You can also pour laundry odor boosters like “Downy Ustoppables” into a container. Place it in a corner of your car.
3. Clean the interior of the windshield. This made sense as this is a barrier and can accumulate the ash from the cigarette leaving behind a cloudy smell. Don’t leave cigarette butts lying around. They will make all this work go in vain. Find out more…How to Get Rid of Smoke Smell In the Car?
How to Get Smoke Smell Out of Hair
Hair that smells of smoke is not good for personal hygeine. However, a detail wash with a shampoo can remove the smoke smell from your hair.
No time to wash, Tumble dryer sheets are a good fix for smokey hair. Simply rub the hair with the dryer sheet and thats it. If you are concerned about using dryer sheets in your hair. Surprising dryer sheets are perfectly safe… salonworthyhair.com
6 Ways to Prevent Smoke Smell In the First Place
- Keep the smoke outdoor, smoking outside will prevent the ash to sit on household items
- Clean your home regular. Use Lysol surface cleaner or Pine-Sol to wipe surface, like countertops, and floors
- Get the laundry done regularly. Keeping smoke reeking clothes in the home is a set up for a smelly house
- Ventilate if possible. Ventilating your home allows the fresh air to drive out the musky odor
- Use air purifiers, these are good way to purify the air in your home
- Constantly use air fresheners. Air fresheners like spray and plugins are a good way to control smoke smell in the house
The best tip of all to get smoke smell out of clothes is to cut the habit that’s the only real solution, but if you have to, these tips will help.